Thursday, March 24, 2011

More on Memorizing Scripture

In my blog yesterday I talked about my journey - to recognize gifts, and to memorize Scripture. God's Word is a gift to each one of us... and it is a special gift because as we accept it and use it in our lives we are given more. It is a gift that keeps on giving.. it comforts, encourages, teaches, corrects, and instructs. Scripture helps us to know God better, and to know how we should live.

The verses I have been memorizing this last week are all about the Word:

2 Timothy 3:16: All Scrpiture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuke, for correcting, for training in righteousness.

Hebrews 4:12: For the Word of God is living and effective and sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating as far as to divide soul, spirit, joints and marrow; it is a judge of the ideas and thoughts of the heart.

Joshua 1:18, Deuteronomy 6:4-7, Psalm 119:11, Hebrews 4:16, I John 5:12-15

But here's what I have learned the most-
  1. When I practice the verses I have been learning, I forget about myself.

  2. Memorizing verses makes me want to memorize more verses.

  3. As I think about the verses I am memorizing, I learn about God.

  4. And I realize just how much I need Him - His mercy and grace, because I am such a sinner; and His daily presence within me, giving me strength, compassion, patience, love, and everything I need to become a little more like Him each day.

No comments: