Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Holy Habits

This morning the title for today in my devotional book was "Holy Habits."
The devotion talked about holiness, and how God wants us to be holy as He is holy. Then I read about habits - how there are good habits, and there are bad habits.
I read Hebrews 12:1 which tells us to
 "throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles." There are bad habits that are sinful or lead to sin, and they do entangle us and lead us away from God, away from being holy.
The devotional ended by asking readers to examine their habits, asking God to reveal bad habits that need to be broken, and to form new habits that will lead to becoming more like Jesus.
My first thoughts were about last spring, when I was trying to memorize 100 verses. What happened to that, I asked myself. I realized that I had not worked on it enough for it to become a habit. I did memorize 40 verses. But then I allowed other things to take up my time. I did not keep practicing my verses or learn any new ones. I did not make it a habit.
I think that reading God's Word, meditating on it, and memorizing it is a holy habit I want to have.
A habit is formed one day at a time, so I will start again. I will not rely only on my own strength to form this habit however. I am asking God to give me the encouragement and strength to make this a holy habit in my life. So....................................

My memory verse for today is Psalm 55:22 -
"Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will support you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken."

Will you join me in starting a holy habit? Ask God to reveal your bad habits, and identify a new habit you need in your life. Share with someone the habit you're trying to form, and ask them to encourage you along the way!

No comments: