Thursday, January 5, 2012

Loneliness

Last night I learned something.
I was home alone. Again. I thought I was used to being alone, since Craig has been an over-the-road trucker driver for the last 5 years, and our nest is empty.
My daughter and her husband had stayed with us for over three weeks in December and I got used to having them around. Then they went back home Monday. Craig had been home on vacation for over a week, and he left again on Tuesday.
I did pretty well Tuesday night, coming home from work to a quiet house. Percy (our dog) and I spent the evening together. But last night was a different story. It may have been partly because I was paying bills (yuck!) and the fact that I found out when I talked to Craig that he had hit a deer the night before and there was major cosmetic damage to his truck.
But after moping around all evening feeling lonely, here is what God finally spoke into my heart:

"You are lonely because you have chosen to be lonely."

Wow! I was blown away by that. But the more I think about it, the more I know it is true.

God says in His Word,
 “Never will I leave you;  never will I forsake you." Hebrews 13:5, Deuteronomy 31:6
and Jesus said,
 "I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:20
It even says in Psalm 68:6 that God makes a home for the lonely.

So when I am feeling lonely I need to read His Word and remember His promises and spend more time with Him.

But there are also other things I could should have done last night to feel less lonely. I could have called a friend. I could have done some chores around the house, or some fun crafting. I could have taken Percy for an extra walk. And I know there are more things I could add to this list.

The point is, I chose to sit around, feeling sorry for myself, and feeling lonely.

Thank goodness today is a new day, and that I am still teachable. Praise God that He speaks to us in our hearts, gently correcting us, giving us wisdom. 
Now when loneliness threatens to overwhelm me, I know what to do. Do you?

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Those are good thoughts. The nice thing was your obedience to His voice when you could've continued in your loneliness.
God bless!