Thursday, March 29, 2012

Over the Road - trucking with a dog

Last week when I went in the truck with my husband, we took our dog - Percy - with us. He is quite the traveler.

He preferred the front seat, except when it was time for his morning nap. When I was also in the front, he was on my lap. He spent hours looking out the window, watching the world go by. Occasionally, when he saw a horse or cow he would put his paws up on the door handle, and sometimes bark. But most often he was content to just look.

Of course, whenever we stopped he was ready to get out of the truck, go for a walk and sniff all the new smells.



He got sad when we left him in the truck, but he was very good about waiting for us to return.


Lots of truckers I saw had dogs with them, and I know why. Percy was good company. Because he needed an occasional walk, he forced us to get some exercise at each stop. He was so interested in looking at everything along the way, he inspired us to be on the lookout for new things to see. He entertained us with his bedtime antics - trying to get his blankets just the way he liked them ... and he snuggled close to us on the bunk, which helped melt away the stress of the day.

Even after 5000 miles, when we got home and I asked Percy, "should we go for a ride?" he jumped right in the car, wagging his tail, ready for the next adventure.


No comments: