Sunday, November 11, 2012

Be Brave

This week I began rereading the book of Joshua. God tells Joshua 3 times in the first chapter to be strong and courageous. Then in verse 9 He adds, "Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

After the elections Tuesday I was tempted to fall into discouragement and depression. And then God reminded me, "Be strong and courageous. I am with you wherever you go."

It was kind of a hard week at school this week. I was tempted to run, to quit... until I read these words again. God wants me (and you) to be strong and courageous. He says to me "Do not tremble or be dismayed, because I am with you wherever you go."

On Friday night Craig and I watched an old movie on TV called, "Nobody's Fool" starring Paul Newman, Jessica Tandy, Bruce Willis, and Melanie Griffith. It was rather a slow movie, but had some good messages. One scene Craig and I especially want to remember was when Sully (Paul Newman) gave his grandson a pocket watch. He explained how to tell when I minute goes by. Then he tells his timid, fearful grandson that anyone can be brave for one minute. And after you're brave for one minute, then you can be brave for one more minute. Later in the movie there's a time when the grandson must be brave. Sully asks him if he has the watch, which he does. And he becomes brave for one minute and experiences how good it feels to be brave.

We don't need a watch to help us be brave. We just need to remember God's words to Joshua:

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

We just need to keep our eyes on Him, trust Him, and obey Him.

2 comments:

Gale said...

Hello! I decided to send everyone who participated in my first This is Wherever Wednesday a postcard from Texas (if they wanted one). If you would like one, please e-mail me your address at ecarian at yahoo dot com.

Thanks so much for helping to give my little linky party such a great start. If you would like to link up again, or just check out this month's posts, please stop by http://texifornia.blogspot.com/search/label/This%20is%20Wherever . :-)

Gale said...

PS: Those are good words from Joshua, whatever side of the political isle you are on.