Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Holy Scrap

Holy Scrap is the name of a scrapbooking retreat that I went to last weekend. It was at a Bible Camp, and it was organized by some of the teachers in my school district. This was my second year at Holy Scrap, and I had a great time. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough pictures printed to be able to scrapbook. Fortunately, I did have lots of card supplies and ideas, so I spent the weekend making cards.
When we first got to the camp, we checked in at the room where we would spend the weekend being creative. We were all greeted by the sight of gorgeous paper flowers. Each one was on a wooden kabob skewer, and was stuck into an insulated cup. Each flower had a name on it, and that showed us where our place would be for the weekend. Here's my flower (back at my house).


We had several Make-And-Take projects to do over the weekend. Here is one - this card is so easy to make!


Just cut 4-5 strips of coordinating paper - make them 1 1/2 inches by 4 inches. Then cut them diagonally, corner to corner. Cut a piece of white paper 5 inches by 3.75 inches. Either score or mark the paper one inch from the bottom edge. Then score or mark down the middle, from the top to the first scoring mark.  Use the middle mark to place the first triangle, with the point at the 1 inch score mark, in the middle. Glue (or use tape runner) the triangles one by one across the card. Trim off the excess around the sides. Cut coordinating rectangle 5.25 inches by 4 inches. Glue white card with triangles to the colored rectangle. Fold cardstock for card (8.5 inches by 4.25 inches) in half. Glue colored rectangle piece to the top of the card.  Adhere a strip of Stampin' Up's sticky tape over the scoring mark one inch from the bottom and stick ribbon to the tape.  If you want to, you can stamp a message below the ribbon.


 Here's the second Make-And-Take card. We used a Stampin' Up punch to make the flags, tied thin twine around the cardstock and draped flags over the twine. We did use some glue dots to keep the flags on the twine. So simple!

Here are some of the cards I made -











One other component of the weekend was the scrapbook challenge. Actually, there were several challenges over the course of the weekend. I missed the first one, which was to make a black and white layout.
The second challenge was to use a pair of decorative scissors in our project or layout. Here's the card I made for that challenge. Sorry for the quality of the picture - the card is actually white.


The last challenge was to look through scrapbooking/card making magazines to find inspiration and make a project/layout based on the inspiration piece.  I saw a trifold card idea, and made this card-


It was a great weekend. My hope is that next year my daughter will be able to go with me to the Holy Scrap weekend.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I would love to go together next year! I like the cards you made too :)