Thursday, February 8, 2007

Answers to Prayer

Before I tell of the prayers that were answered I want to "set the stage."
Last night I went to Bible study. Our lesson was about the Last Supper and the events leading up to Jesus' arrest in the garden of Gethsemane. In Matthew 26:30 it talks about Jesus and His disciples singing a hymn. Beth Moore, in the Bible study, says that during Passover the Jews sang Psalms 116-118. So maybe Jesus was singing Psalm 118 :22-24:
The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone. 23 This is the Lord's doing;it is marvelous in our eyes. 24 This is the day that the Lord has made;let us rejoice and be glad in it.
I've never really thought about singing the song, "This is the day the Lord has made" when I've been in a tough situation or have been really sad. From now on, I'm going to try to sing that no matter what my circumstances are.
So, after Bible study I drove home to my empty house, and I was feeling lonely. It was cold outside, Craig was down in Iowa, and I just didn't want to be alone. When I got home I decided to just crawl into bed. Then I remembered the song, and began to sing it - to rejoice in this day that the Lord had given to me.
A little while later the phone rang - and it was Carrie! She was calling from Guatemala. It was so good to hear her voice. I just knew that God knew about my loneliness and sent me that phone call.
I've also been thinking about my purpose in life. Now that my kids are grown, what am I supposed to be doing? I've been asking God, "am I doing your will? Is working at Weaver Lake really what you want me to do? Am I making a difference for You, Lord?" I'd just really begun to wonder. After talking with Carrie, and thinking again about this God opened my eyes - He showed me that because I am working Carrie can be showing God's love to people down in Guatemala. That, for now, is my purpose. Thanks be to God for His answers to prayer!

No comments: