Sunday, February 25, 2007

Let It Snow - Part Two

I hate driving in snow. I worry about whether I'll be able to control my car. I worry about the other drivers - will they slow down, do they know how to drive, etc. I worry about whether I'll be able to handle it if something bad happens.
So yesterday afternoon, a couple of hours after I wondered if we were even going to get the snow that was predicted, it began to really, really snow. I had a new problem - my son Jeff, who plays hockey for Bethel University, had a game in Blaine at 7:00 PM. I had been planning to go. It was a big game. This game against St. Olaf would decide the season - if Bethel wins they end the season in 1st place for the MIAC. If they lose, they end in 2nd. Bethel has never taken 1st place before. This would be a big game.
At about 4:30 I looked outside, and it didn't look good. The snow was really coming down, and the wind was blowing so hard the snow was almost falling horizontally. (Is that possible?) On a good day the drive to Blaine takes about 45 minutes. How long would it take me now? Was I really up to driving on snow covered roads? I didn't know what to do. I was really more worried about the drive home than the one to get there. It would be 5 hours later, 5 more hours of snow and blowing, plus it would be dark. I wanted to go to the game, but I was afraid of driving. Would I even enjoy the game or would I just be worried about driving home?
I talked to my husband (who is in Nashville right now, lucky guy!) and decided that maybe I should stay home. After all, there will be more hockey games - and it's not like I'd never seen Jeff play before. Also, I thought, if they lose I will be really mad that I went out in the snow.
Then I talked with my oldest son, Brenton. His whole family was going to the game. My daughter-in-law had bundled up the kids and was heading to pick him up at work in Coon Rapids. Brenton told me what a big game it was going to be, and said that the roads getting there weren't too bad.
So, I decided to go - to trust God to help me drive, and to trust myself that I could do it. I thought, if the roads are too bad I'll just turn around and go home. I decided that if I got there I would enjoy the game and not think about the snow. I remembered the billboard my husband told me about - that worry looks around, but faith looks up. And I went to Blaine for the game.

I am so glad that I went to the game!! Bethel fans filled the arena, and the noise was incredible. Bethel played a good game. They scored the first goal less than a minute into the game, and went on to win 6-3. For a more detalied account follow this link: http://cas.bethel.edu/athletics/Hockey/2007/gamestories/022407sto.htm
or you can read about my son, Jeff's goal, here:http://www.brentonbalvin.blogspot.com/
Driving home was interesting. You couldn't see the lanes on the freeway, the wind was really blowing,the road coming out from Maple Grove to Hanover was drifted and sometimes not plowed, but I made it home safely. I took my time, and just thanked God for His protection and for His peace inside of me. I am also thankful today for great neighbors who came over with their snowblowers and cleared my driveway.
Congratulations, Bethel Royals, MIAC Champions!

3 comments:

Lori said...

Yay, Kris!! Way to brave the snow and trust God to safety!!! Congrats to Bethel and to Jeff too!!!

caeb said...

I am glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

thanks for coming and your ongoing/lifetime support
i love you,
Jeff