Friday, March 2, 2007

Let It Snow - Part 4

No - don't let it snow anymore!
I am sitting in my family room looking out the window. Our family room is on the lower first level, so we have windows that are right along the ground. If I look out the east window, the snow is piled over half way up the window. And it's still snowing!
My wonderful neighbors were over before 6 a.m. this morning blowing out my driveway in case I had to go to work. Thankfully, I did not. I think every school in the Twin Cities, and maybe in most of Minnesota, is closed today. Lots of businesses and state and local offices are closed too. Even roads have been closed. (More about that later!)
Even though they blew out the driveway early, I still had plenty of snow to shovel when I went out about 10 a.m. And it's getting harder to shovel because the drifts on the sides of the driveway are about up to my waist. I don't know if all the snow was new snow, or just stuff that had blown in. I guess it doesn't really matter - I still had to shovel it.
I started thinking about the last time we had this much snow - or this long of a storm. It's hard to even remember one. Since we've only lived in this house for about 10 months, all my memories are from our farm. Craig would use his oliver tractor to clear the driveway there. I remember some pretty big snow piles, but we also had a pretty big driveway. I remember way back when we had goats, when the boys were pretty little, Craig was trucking and we had a snowstorm. It looked like I was living on "The Little House on the Prairie". I had a path shoveled from the house to the barn so I could feed the goats.
Today I was hoping that Craig would make it home. He got stopped yesterday in St. James, MN when they closed the roads. I talked with him this morning and the roads are still closed. He is so sad. He is tired of being in that little truck cab and sleeper, tired of being on the road. I think if he knew a way to get home by back roads where the roads were clear, he'd be on his way. God has given me peace about it - that He's taking care of Craig and keeping him safe, just as He's taking care of me.
Let's hope the snow stops soon. Until then, I'm going to enjoy my snow day at home!

1 comment: