Friday, March 16, 2007

Trust and Obey...

for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus.

It's so easy to sing that hymn, and so hard to put into practice.
Trust
It's easy to say that I am trusting Jesus when I have nothing big to trust Him for. And I'm afraid to be tested in that. I don't want any big issues in my life that I can't handle.
So this spring I am being tested - still not in huge issues (no life or death things) but times, nevertheless, when I can't do anything but pray. I cannot be in Guatemala with Carrie so I need to trust God to take care of her. I cannot find Craig the perfect job, and I cannot be with him when he's bored or frustrated with his dispatchers becasue they don't have work for him. So I put him in god's hands. I can't go in the basement and dig up enough money to pay all our bills with some left over. I do my best to be frugal, and trust God to give us enough for our needs (and give Him my wants.) I can't find a job for Jeff, so I pray that God will help him find a job...
and the list goes on. Trusting really involves letting go, acknowledging that I can't do anything, but God can do everything. And trusting also means that I know that I don't see the whole picture, but God does. So His answers are perfect. His timing is perfect.
Obey
It's hard to obey when you don't know what or who to obey. So I need to get deeper into God's Word to find out who He is, and what He wants me to do. But there's a good place to start: Matthew 22:34-40

34 But when the Pharisees heard that he (Jesus) had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. 35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him. 36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

So if I start by loving God with all my heart, soul and mind, and then love my neighbors as myself then I am obeying God. Loving God (and then my neighbors) is more important than trying to find out what God wants me to do - for a job, who to marry, where to live, etc. But if we are loving Him we will want to read His Word to know Him better and we will want to pray to talk with Him. The more we read and pray the more we know what else He desires us to obey.

No comments: