Wednesday, April 18, 2007

There's No Business Like Show Business

Last night was the first dress rehearsal for Wastebasket Revue - a variety show that our school district employess put on every year to rasie money for scholarships. This is my first year in the show. The rehearsal last night was a bit chaotic. I found out that the directors (and most of the cast) pretty much assume that everyone's been in the show before and knows what to do. So I tried to just follow along. The 2 hour performance took 3 1/2 hours last night - with many stops and a couple of "do overs". I love the music and the dancing. Some of the skits weren't funny and i found out that there are quite a few "inside jokes." That is to say that people who don't work for the schools might not understand. I was impressed with our superintendent, Susan Hintz. She has a huge part in the show - many costume changes - and she does a great job. Overall, I think it will be a good show.
I am in the Golden Girls danceline. I kind of wish I had another part in th show - although I can't see myself having a speaking part in a skit. (Maybe next year I will try out for the singing group - the Swinging Eds.) The whole cast is in the opening number and the finale. The Golden Girls do their dance early in the show, so I have a lot of time to wait around. On show nights I will be helping in the concession stand during intermission.
We have another dress rehearsal tonight. I hope it doesn't go quite as long as last night. It wa 11:30 before I got to bed. Then I had trouble falling asleep, and the alarm went off at 6 AM.
It was a short night!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great job again in your Golden Girls dance...i also thought you looked cute in that chinese "get up" at the begining of the show
Jeff