Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Notes from Mark Batterson

Today I read a sermon (The Political Elephant) by Mark Batterson, the pastor of National Community Church in Washington DC. I found his comments about politics particularly encouraging on the day after a historic Election Day. You really should read, or listen to, or watch the whole sermon. But here's just a tiny exerpt:

Listen, if you’re anything like me. Sometimes you’re astounded at the simple fact that not everybody sees the world the way you do. They just don’t get it. But you have to remember. They have the right be wrong!
Let me share an email I got from an NCCer because I think it captures this well.

When I first came to DC, I really struggled with the fact that people I cared about and respected could have such different perspectives – especially when we shared the same core convictions in Christ! But I had a revelation one day when I realized, most Christ-followers want the same outcomes (health care for people, jobs for families, education opportunities, etc.) but we just have very different perspectives on how to get there!! Once I realized this, I felt so much more at peace. My friends were not evil after all!

Here’s what I’m getting at. We need to be the solution. We need to be the church. We need to be the blessing. We need to be going into our schools and say: how can we be a blessing? We need to be walking into our council member’s offices and asking: how can we be a blessing? We need to be volunteering our time.

No comments: