Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Experiencing The Spirit

Easter is a wonderful holiday - the best holiday because of these three words: He is risen. I aqm so thankful the Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and that He had victory over death by rising again. But it didn't end there. The story of Easter really goes on to the day of Pentecost when Jesus sent the Holy Spirit.
Unfotunately too often I try to rely on myself instead of waiting for the help of the Holy Spirit. I try to understand scripture on my own. I try to figure out GOd's will for my life - on my own. I try to resist temptation, or forgive someone, basically try to live the Christian life, without allowing the Spirit to work in and through me. What a fool I am sometimes!
So this Easter season I am reading Experiencing the Spirit- The Power of Pentecost Every Day by Drs. Henry and Mel Blackaby. The first chapter starts out, "The person who does not know the Holy Spirit of God does not know God." So I am reading this book to help me to understand the Holy Spirit and to experience His work in my life. Won't you join me?
You can purchase the book at http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781590529119 or at www.amazon.com.

Here is a summary of the book by the publisher, WaterBrook Multnomah:

The first Christians “turned the world upside down” (Acts 17:6) shaking the gates of hell even in the face of severe persecution. The result: People all around “were filled with wonder and amazement” (Acts 3:10).What can give Christians today the same impact?God’s Holy Spirit is ready to answer that for us in an awesome way, as Henry Blackaby and his son Mel Blackaby make clear in Experiencing the Spirit. You’ll see how the proof of the Spirit’s presence is our awareness of God’s personal assignments for us, plus our supernatural enablement to carry out those assignments. You’ll find essential clarification on the difference between natural talents and spiritual gifts. You’ll explore the dynamics of being filled with the Spirit through intimate relationship with Him, committed obedience, and radical departure from sin. Instead of considering what you can do for God with your abilities and talents, you’ll be encouraged here to seek what God wants to do through you supernaturally by His Spirit, empowering you beyond your personal competence and capacities. Release the Holy Spirit’s work at the very core of your experience of the Christian life.

1 comment:

Maxine said...

Sounds like a great book!

Just wanted to wish you the blessings of Easter for you and your family.