Monday, September 21, 2009

Choices

It seems that this world is just full of choices - too many choices. Last weekend my refrigerator died. So I went to buy a new one and I could not believe the choices.Did I want a top mount freezer or a bottom mount?Or maybe a side to side refrigerator? White, Bisque, Or stainless? what size - 30 inches minimum width to very wide - 60-75 inches tall? Icemaker? Water in the door? And on and on. What brand is best? Amana, , LG, GE, Whirlpool, Maytag, Jenn-Air, Kitchen Aid, to name a few. Then I found out that Whirlpool makes Maytag, Jenn-Air, Kitchen Aid and Amana. I came home the first night with my head in a whirl. So I got online and did a little more research, read some reviews, and tried to narrow my choices. I looked at what each store had to offer in terms of delivery, pricing and financing.
The next day I went back and visited a big box store and a smaller appliance store. At the end of the night I had bought a Whirlpool white top mount freezer refrigerator. It wasn't my first choice, but my first choice was just too expensive. I decided that basically I needed something to keep my food cold. I bought my fridge from the smaller store because the salesman was friendly, patient, and offered to match prices of other stores. He gave me free delivery and haul away, and 12 month no interest financing.

This week I am shopping for a wood stove for the cabin. And I'm confronted with more choices - style, size, material it's made of, BTU's, and on and on.

I think it was easier to buy things when the biggest factor was cost - not millions of choices.

No comments: