Thursday, March 10, 2011

Memories

This weekend is the MN State Boy's High School Hockey Tournament, and it brings back such good memories for me.
Our 3 boys played hockey all through their growing up years. I can't tell you how many ice arenas I've been in, how many weekends were spent at tournaments, how many sticks/ skates, gloves, tape, pucks, etc we bought. the stuff wasn't important - it's the memories of being together, the lessons they learned from being part of a team, the friends they made...these are the important things.
I have several favorite memories from those years. One is going to bed listening to the sounds of the puck hitting the boards and the boys' voices as they played hockey on our backyard rink.
Another memory is of a game Brenton played in for Maple Grove High School when they beat Blaine and he got the tying goal and the winning goal. The TV announcer said, " Oh that Balvin!"
I have a memory of Aaron putting checking a guy right over the boards, and memories of Jeff being smaller than a lot of guys out there but skating through them to score a goal. So many memories of watching them play and enjoy the game.
The High School tournament brings back other memories - of watching all the games on TV with the boys. We would tape the games too, and the boys would have their friends over to watch and rewatch the games. I remember staying up until after 1 AM to watch Duluth East against Edina (oops! my son reminded me that it was actually Apple Valley- thanks, Brenton!) in a semi-final game that went into about 6 overtimes. When the boys were in high school they played varsity hockey, and so they had played games against some of the teams that ended up in the tournament. As hockey players they were allowed to miss school to attend the tournaments.
This weekend I'll probably be watching the games by myself (the boys might be watching in their own homes) - but in my mind those 3 little boys of mine that loved hockey so much will be sitting right beside me.

_____________________________________________________
my memory verse this week:
I Peter 5:10 "After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you."

_____________________________________________________
36. Pink sunrise
37. A pheasant flying up out of the trees
38. Raspberry rhubarb pie
39. Size 8 pants that fit
40. The smell of blueberry muffins baking in the oven
41. Clearing off the top of my desk - it feels go to bring order out of chaos
42. Listening to my son preach a sermon at church, and online
43. A clean car ( is a happy car!)

1 comment:

Brenton Balvin said...

Agreed. However, as we pass your birthday last week your memory might be fading a tad. :) That game was Duluth East v. Apple Valley. :) Love you Mom. Thanks for you and Dad's sacrifices which was the catalyst for all those memories!