Saturday, April 2, 2011

Do you know the way?

Thomas a Kempis said,
"Without the way, there is no going; without the truth, there is no knowing; without the life, there is no living."

Have you ever asked someone directions and after they gave them you still had no idea how to get there? So you wander for a bit on your own, and then stop to ask another.This cycle may continue until finally you've asked enough people and gone a long ways before you finally stumble upon your destination.
How much happier are you when you ask for directions, and the person says "Follow me. I'll take you there."

I have two important questions to ask you today.
Question #1
Do you know the way to heaven? We can know for sure that when we die we will be in heaven with God. Jesus says in John 14:6:
"I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

And, in John 3:16 it says,
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting (eternal) life. 
 
Also, in I John 5:11-12 we read,
And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life. The one who doesn't have the Son of God does not have life. 

We can know we are going to heaven if we have Jesus as our Lord and Savior.
He is the only way. And He says in John 14:2-3,
"In my Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so I would have told you. I am going away to prepare a place for you. If I go away and prepare a place for you, I will come back and receiv you to Myself, so that where I am there you may be also."

What a wonderful promise - and it's yours to claim if you have accepted Jesus into your heart. He is the way. He is the only way. But He does not leave us to stumble around in darkness, trying to get to heaven on our own. He's gone ahead to prepare a place for you and for me. And He's promised to come back and get us so that we can be where He is.
The Bible has many many more verses about the assurance of eternal life for those who believe in Him. (John 3:36, John 6:47, John 17:3, I John 5:13 to name just a few.)
Just remember this: there's only one thing you need to do to have eternal life: Believe. (See Romans 10:9 and Ephesians 2:8-10)

Question #2
If you already know you are going to heaven, are you a sign post for someone else, or a stumbling block?
As Christians we need to be pointing the way to Christ so that other's may receive Him. Are you somone who's coming alongside hurting, lost people and saying "Here, let me show you the way"?  Does God's light so shine in you that others want to know more about Him? Or are you giving mixed messages, confusing people because your life and your testimony don't go together. You say you're a Christian but you don't live it.
As Christians we need to be sharing God's love with those around us, and pointing the way to Jesus - because He is the only Way.
____________________________________________________________
If you're joining my in my memory verse journey, the memory verses for this week are John 14:1-6. It is so powerful to memorize Jesus'words. Let them sink deep into your heart this week!

John 14:1-6:
Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in Me.
In my Father's house are many mansions; if not, I would have told you. I am going away to prepare a place for you.
If I go away and prepare a place for you, I wil come back and recevie you to Myself; so that where I am you may be also.
You know the way where I am going.
"Lord'" Thomas said, "we don't know where You are going.  How can we know the way?"
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."

2 comments:

The Farmer Files said...

I have wondered for many years about the mansions. I specifically remember my dad sharing this verse with me when I was four. For the last 30 years I wondered what he has prepared. Thanks for stopping by my place.

kris said...

I read a commentary that said that it should actually say dwelling place (from the word manse.) However, our God is a creative God. The places He is preparing for us are not going to be cookie cutter, dull houses or apartments. The commentator beleived that each dwelling place will be suited to the uniqueness of each one of us. To be in heaven with God will be a wonderful thing. No more sadness, sickness or death. No more separation from God. He is not only preparing a place for us to be with Him eternally, He is also coming back to get us. And He gave His life by dying on the cross, so that we can be with Him. He paid the price of our sins by dying, so that we can live. Isn't it wonderful?