Friday, September 30, 2011

Five Minute Friday: On Friends

Five Minute Friday - where you just write for five minutes, no editing, just put your thoughts down....
Todays' topic is Friends. So here goes:

When my kids were growing up, and even now as adults, they loved watching the TV show, "Friends." It wasn't my favorite show. I didn't always like the values - or lack of -  and the humor wasn't always funny to me either. But I did appreciate the friendships that the characters displayed. They were close. They were there for each other in good times and bad. They helped each other.
In my life I have not always had friends like that, and have never had a group of friends to hang out with. I envied people who had a group of friends from high school or college that continued to get together for years and years afterwards.
But I do have three or four friendships that I cherish. And so I feel blessed. These friends do check in with me to see how I'm doing. They care. They would be there if I called. One friend has been a friend for about 15 years, the others are newer friends, less than 2 years. And then there's my best friend, my husband.
So, what is a friend? To me, a friend is someone who accepts me as I am. It's someone I want to spend time with, and that person wants to be with me. We can talk about lots of different things, and we both take turns talking and listening. A friend helps me to be a better person, and my life is richer because I have my friend.

Want to try out Five Minute Friday? Here's a link:

1 comment:

Julie on an adventure said...

I totally agree. My life is richer not because of what I have but because of those who are in it. Thanks for your post.