Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Breathe

At the beginning of the year I read some blogs about choosing a word for the year, instead of setting goals. I have been thinking about the word, "breathe" for a couple of weeks now so I have decided that it is my word for 2012.
Breathe - here's Merriam Webster's definitions:
1 : to draw air into and expel it from the lungs
2 : Live
3 : to blow softly
4 : to send out by exhaling <breathe a sigh of relief>
5 : to bring by or as if by breathing <breathe new life into the movement>
6 : to say quietly or softly <don't breathe a word to anybody>
7 : to allow to rest after hard work <breathe a horse>
8 : to take in in breathing <breathe the scent of roses>
9 : to allow air or moisture to pass through <a fabric that breathes>

I also looked up Bible references for the word, breathe. In addition to many verses which used the phrase "breathed his last" in reference to dying, I found these:
Genesis 2:7
Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
Ezekiel 21:31
I will pour out my wrath on you and breathe out my fiery anger against you;
Ezekiel 37:9
Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Come, breath, from the four winds and breathe into these slain, that they may live.’”
John 20:22
And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.
2 Timothy 3:16
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness

Here are a few of my thoughts - my applications - after all this research:
  • You can't breathe in without breathing out. It is just as necessary for exhale to rid your body of carbon dioxide as it is to inhale oxygen.
  • There's no life without breath.
  • God breathed life into Adam, and He breathes life into each of us - physical life.
  • God also breathes spiritual life into us, when we accept Him as Lord and Saviour.
  • We need to breathe out our sins and breathe in God's Word.
  • We need to breathe ourselves - allow ourselves to rest after hard work.
This year I am going to breathe.

No comments: