Monday, January 6, 2014

The Best Christmas Present Ever

Well, it's been two weeks since Christmas... and almost a month since my last post. It's been hard to take the time to sit down and write. My daughter, her husband and their son have been visiting. I'd much rather play with Micah than blog.
But it's time to put some word to thoughts. So I want to tell you about the best Christmas present ever.
It's a present that I've received every Christmas for at least the last 5 years. Yes, the same present. It's been wrapped in different sized boxes, with different paper... but it has given me such joy each and every Christmas.
You might be wondering what in the world this present is, and I'm sure my kids, if they are reading this blog, are wracking their brains trying to remember a gift I've gotten each Christmas...


The gift I've received is the joy of watching my kids and grandkids open the gifts that they've bought for each other. As grown ups, my kids have gotten really good at picking up the perfect gift for their siblings as well as for Craig and me. They are so excited to be givers. They'd rather watch someone else open a gift than open their own. Last year I watched as Brenton opened up a package on got a Keurig coffeemaker from his brothers. I watched his wife, Stephanie, open a gift from Brenton and squeal with delight to find an ipad. The smile on Brenton's face was priceless. This year Aaron and Jeff couldn't wait to see Mardo's face as he opened his gift  - his favorite pair of shoes that had been left at their house a year ago. Aaron gave Jeff golf accessories, and Brenton got John Deere gear. And my daughter arranged for her and her brothers to give me a Silhouette Portrait, knowing that I've wanted one for a long, long time. The list goes on and on.
My kids have grown into giving, caring adults who genuinely love one another. And that's the best Christmas present a mom could ever get!

No comments: