Sunday, January 12, 2014

I Will Rejoice and be Glad

Psalm 118: 24 says,

"This is the day which the Lord has made. 
Let us rejoice and be glad in it."

Today I said goodbye to my daughter, her husband, and their son. They are on their way home to Guatemala. They have been here since the beginning of December, and it's time for Mardo to go back to work. 
I drove them to the airport, collected their winter coats - since they don't need them in Guatemala- hugged and kissed them and told them how much I love them. And then I drove away. I began the drive home with tears streaming down my face. I prayed for their safety. And I asked God why. Why do they have to live so far away? Why is saying goodbye so hard? Why?

God said to me, "You are in the place I want you to be. Carrie is in the place I want her to be. I am enough for you. Lean on me."

I drove the 3 hours home, and the first thing I did was to take our dog, Percy, for a walk. I continued to pray and think about the day. And Psalm 118:24 came to mind. God wants me to choose to rejoice in the day. I can rejoice even when I'm sad. I can rejoice even when I don't understand. Rejoicing is a choice I can make. I'm not rejoicing that I had to say goodbye, or that I may not see Carrie, Mardo, and Micah for a long time. I am rejoicing because God is God. He is faithful. He is unchanging, and He is more than worthy of my praise, my time, my life.

Earlier in Psalm 118 it says,

"The Lord helped me. The Lord is my strength and song: And He has become my salvation.."

He will help me to rejoice. He will help me to trust Him. He will be my strength and He will give me a song.  The Psalm starts and ends with this:

"Give thanks to the Lord for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting."

I choose to start and end my days with thanksgiving to the Lord. I will rejoice and be glad because He is my God and I am His child.

And I will cherish the memories of the last 5 weeks - and look forward to Carrie, Mardo and Micah's next visit.

No comments: