Monday, January 27, 2014

When the weather outside is frightful... make cookies!

Yesterday, just after lunch, the wind began to blow. The night before it snowed - about 3-4 inches of the light fluffy snow. So when the wind came up, it whipped up that snow, and we couldn't see across the lake. On top of that, the temperature began to fall.
So  Craig and I decided to "hunker in" and enjoy being home. Craig made a fire in the wood stove - and I made cookies.

Craig wanted Oatmeal Cookies. So I went to my favorite source - Pinterest - and I found a recipe for Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies.


Craig asked me to use steel cut oats so I put 1 1/2 cups of steel cut oats and 1 1/2 cups of instant oats.  I only put 1/2 tsp cinnamon into the dough.  


Don't you just love my old mixer? We got it from Craig's Grandma - and it still works! I used it to mix all the ingredients into the dough. Then I dropped the dough onto a greased cookie sheet - about 1 tablespoon per cookie. The recipe said to flatten the cookies - but I left them alone because I wanted soft chewy cookies. I baked them for 10 minutes and that was perfect! 


The cookies are delicious! For the last dozen cookies I added walnuts, and Craig thinks they're the best. Next time I make this recipe, I will make some with golden raisins.

The weather may have been bad outside, but inside it was warm and wonderful!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Yum - I love chewy oatmeal cookies. I want to make some now!