Saturday, February 10, 2007

My Epitaph

I just came back from a funeral for the sister of a friend of mine. It really made me think about what I want said when I die. This funeral was in a church - a United Church of Christ - but the gospel message was never very clearly expressed. A children's book was read called "the Next Place" but it never used the word heaven. The pastor used the verse, "Now these three things abide faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." But then he talked about the faith this family had in the woman who died. How she had faith in her family. He talked about the hopes she had for her kids. And the love she had. The things he said about her were wonderful.

But I decided that I want my funeral to be less about me and more about my Father in heaven. I want everyone at my funeral to know that I have gone home to heaven; that I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, and therefore I know without a shadow of a doubt that I am going to be spending eternity with Him. I want people to know that they have an opportunity to know that certainty as well - that God is not willing that any should perish, but that everyone would believe in His Son, Jesus, as their Lord and Savior and have eternal life. (see John 3:16)

No comments: