Sunday, August 17, 2008

Don't Look Back

God had a special lesson for me to learn last week. I have been settling in to my new job- but on Wednesday I received a call from my former school district, offering me a job. I have been on the recall list since my position was terminated last spring. The new job I was offered was two steps below my former position - a cut in pay, days worked, and responsibilities.
I realized that I had not completely embraced my new job in a new district. I had thought of it as a job to do while I was waiting to go back to the old district. That's when God spoke to me - first through my husband, then throught Charles Swindoll, and then through His Word. He reminded me that all of His children go through times of testing. Why should I be any different? He showed me the examples in Scripture of men who had to step out in faith and trust Him to lead them.

Charels Swindoll spoke on Romans 8:28- "and we know that God causes all things to work for good to those who trust Him, who are called according to His purpose." The word "know" means to have absolute unshakable confidence. We need to claim this promise, to embrace it, to take it to the bank, in ALL circumstances. Then Swindoll talked about the next part, "God causes...according to His purpose." It's God's project. The develpoment of our Christian character is God's project.

Finally, God told me that it was time to let go of the past. He reminded me of the story of Lot, how He told Lot to flee the city and not look back. It was time for me to embrace my new job, to cling to the promise that He would cause it to work for good, and to not look back. Maybe He's saving me from something bad. Or maybe He just has a new prupose for me or a new project for the development of my character.

I turned in my resignation to the old district, and I'm looking forward to new relationships and what God is going to do with me at my new job.

No comments: