Thursday, September 25, 2008

The message

Tonight I went to hear Mark Driscoll , pastor of Mars Hill Church talk to students (and others) about Christ and the media. His talk was so rich - but here is one of his main points:
The message of theGospel never changes. How we present it, the means we use, should change, as we try to share it with people around us. Our goal should always, always be evangelism. He used I Corinthians 9:19
19Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law. 22To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.
He gave us a lesson in history and how major inventions influenced the spread of the gospel (printing press, electricity, radio, tv, internet, etc.) He said that these things are all belong to God. It is how they are used that matters - use them to honor God.
He said, in everything you do, do it for God. Use every opportunity to share Jesus. Hell is hot. Forever without God is a long time. People need a savior. They need Jesus.
Finally, at the end of the day, at the end of your life, it doesn't matter how successful you are. It only matters how faithful to God you've been .

1 comment:

Maxine said...

Sounds like a wonderful message!