Monday, October 27, 2008

A domestic weekend

We went to the cabin this weekend. While Craig worked at the shop on Saturday, I tried some new recipes. I baked bread in my bread machine. I made soup in the crockpot and I made orange pumpkin cookies. Unfortunately the bread machine tripped the circuit and I didn't know it right away so the timing on the bread was a little off. It just made the crust darker and harder, which actually was a good thing as we dipped the bread in the soup. The crust held the bread together and it was really tasty. The soup turned out really well. It was called winter's best soup, and was made with northern beans, tomatoes, garlic, celery, carrots, onions, rosemary and chicken broth. Leave me a comment and I'll post the recipe.
The cookies were the most disappointing. While they were very moist, and the orange glaze was good, the cookies were quite bland. I'd like to try the glaze on some sugar cookies.
On Saturday afternoon we worked outside, moving bricks, and splitting wood. Ok,I moved the bricks while Craig split the wood. I took a walk with a neighbor. It was a great day.
On Sunday we awoke to rain and lots and LOTS of wind. It was a perfect day to stay inside. We decided to tackle a cabin project, and began to put up beadboard in the hallway between our bedroom and the walk in closet. Mostly I held the wood in place, handed Craig tools, and helped figure out measurements. I did get to use my favorite power tool - the compound mitre saw - to cut some trim boards. We finished the hallway, and we like the look of it so much that next time we're up there we're going to finish the closet with beadboard.

No comments: