Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pockets Of Fear

I heard a great message on the radio last Sunday. Mary Whelchel spoke on Pockets of Fear. You can read the whole message here: www.christianworkingwoman.org/pockets_fear
Mary talked about the areas of our lives where we might find it very hard to trust God. In those areas we let our fears control us. One of the specific "pockets" she talked about was money. She said,
"Are you fearful of not having enough money, of losing your job, of losing your house, of going bankrupt, of not being able to afford what you need or want?"
And I had to say,"Yes." I am afraid of not having enough money to retire, of not having enough to pay our bills, help our children if they need help, or what if we get sick? This really is a pocket of fear for me. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out what we should do -sell the house and move to the cabin, sell the cabin, keep my job, find a second job, travel with Craig, find him a job here, etc. Should I cancel the cable TV and/or other things? How can I save more money?
Then Mary said, "Okay, suppose all those things happen. Imagine the worst.....you'd survive; someone in the family or some close friend would take you in...it would not destroy you."
Mary gave tools to combat these pockets of fear: Expose the pocket of fear you have by Then talk to God about that fear. Realize that when you hold on to that fear it means that you trust God less. So confess that to Him. Then memorize scripture that speaks to that fear. Use scripture to combat the fear and you will have victory. For that fear of not having enough, memorize Matthew 6:25-26 and Philippians 4:19 (to name a few verses).
This was such a great message for me. I am going to start today to empty my pockets of fear and rest in God. I am going to use the tools He's given me - confession, scripture, faith and prayer- to have victory.How about you? What are you afraid of? God's truth can set you free too!

No comments: