Friday, November 12, 2010

Annoyance or opportunity?

This week I visited my son, and he was showing me the holes that a woodpecker has put in the side of his house. We talked about how annoying it was - because now he has to figure out how to fix the holes, and how to keep the woodpecker away. It just wasn't in my son's plans for the week.
As I drove home I thought more about it, and realized that life is all about attitude. Instead of viewing this situation as annoying my son could choose to see it as an opportunity to learn something new. It could be an opportunity to talk to his neighbors and get to know them better while discussing woodpeckers. It could be an opportunity for him to go to Menard's or Home Depot and ask someone how to fill the holes.
There are lots of times in our lives when we view situations as annoying. How about in the grocery store when there's a long line at the checkout? Or how about at work when a machine breaks down, or a coworker snaps at you for no good reason, or the neighbor's dog keeps barking?
What would happen if we changed our attitude and viewed each potential annoyance as an opportunity - an opportunity to learn, to grow, or to share God's love, to help someone out, to practice patience, or to stop and enjoy God's creations?

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Good thoughts! Remind me of that when I am annoyed, ok? :)