Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving - a day to give thanks

Today is the day before Thanksgiving. If you have the radio or TV on you are being bombarded with advertising about Black Friday, and all the great deals waiting for you. I have two boys in the retail business so I know how important the day after Thanksgiving is to that business. For heaven's sake, it's helping to support my children and grandchildren!
But the ads still bother me - especially the one that has changed the wording to say "thank saving day" or something like that.
We have forgotten to be thankful.
We think that we deserve to have it all - whatever the "it" is in each person's life.
We also think we have earned it all, that we have the things we do because of something we've done.
But the truth is that we don't deserve any of the blessings we have (and absolutely everything we have is a blessing). We have not earned them either. Everything comes to us from the hand of God. Our jobs, our homes and families, our health, and all material blessings.
I have found that the more I focus on God, the more I thank Him for each blessing in my life, the more content I am with my life.
I appreciate the sunrise, the taste of my morning coffee, a talk with my son or daughter, my job, the ability to create stamped cards, a walk with my dog, a call from my grandchildren, just sitting next to my husband on the couch, how good my bed feels at the end of the day, etc.
Tomorrow, on Thanksgiving Day, focus on being thankful to the One who created you, who has blessed you, and who desires you to live with Him in heaven eternally.
Appreciate each little thing throughout the day, and you will find that you are content.

Paul said in Philippians 4:
11Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
12I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going
hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.
13I can do all things through Him who
strengthens me.

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Great post! We have so much to be thankful for, just like you said. It is sad that we recognize that once a year, and even now, the ads make people rush past it.

I am thankful for YOU! :)