Saturday, February 26, 2011

Making Changes

In my last post I told you about how I am trying to memorize Scripture. Here is verse #3:
John 1:14
And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us. And we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth."
I am also trying to memorize the whole first chapter of John, because it's important to memorize passages and not just single verses here and there. It's not as easy to memorize as it was when I was younger, but as I read the book, One Hundred Verses Everyone Should Know by Heart I have read story after story of how Bible verses came back in people's memories at their times of need. I want to have that "weapon" ready for when I have a time of need. The author also talks about other benefits of Scripture memorization: including clearer thoughts, steadier nerves, healthier emotions, purer habits and happier homes.

I have one other change I'm trying to make in my life, also inspired by another book I'm reading:
One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. Ann talksabout slowing time down by being thankful. She gave herself an assignment, a dare really, to list 1000 things she was thankful for. She talks about the word, eucharisteo - thanksgiving - and how, as she read the gospels she noticed just how many times Jesus gave thanks. And things happened after He gave thanks. So as I read her book I am challenging myself to start a list of 1000 gifts in my life, trying to foster an attittude of thanksgiving that will be with me each moment of each day.
Here's the beginning:
1. Waking up with my husband beside me in bed.
2. Watching Percy (my dog) jump up on snowdrifts to see what he can see.
3. Frost on the white pines in our back yard.
4. Dove dark chocolate with raspberry.
5. Shopping thrift stores and antique stores in Buffalo with my daughter, Carrie.
6. Hearing Izzy say, "Hi, Nana!" on the phone
7. Dr. Gitter caring about my dad's health

You may see more of my list on future posts. My hope and prayer is that God would help my to notice His gifts to me, and that I would be thankful. For everything I have and everything I am is because of Him.

Verse #4:John 3:16 "For God so loved the world (me - and you) that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever(me - and you) believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

No comments: