Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Journey in Memorizing Scripture

There is a Bible verse that says, "Thy Word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against Thee." I have been feeling the need to hide more of God's Word in my heart. But I didn't know where to start. One day as I was listening to MCBI radio and Dr. David Jeremiah was talking about Scripture memorization. He offered a book called 100 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know by Heart, written by Robert J. Morgan.
So I went online and ordered the book. I have been waiting (impatiently) for it to come, and I finally got it this week. I am so excited!
The author starts the book by explaining the benefits of memorizing Scripture. I'll list just a few here:
  • It makes the Bible portable (you can take it with you anywhere!)
  • It allows God's Word to sink into your brain, into your subconscious
  • It gives you a word to say to others
  • It fills your heart with the best thoughts ever recorded

Robert Morgan goes on to say that these aren't just 100 Bible verses - they're 100 ways to change your life. He goes on to write more on the power of scripture memory before actually beginning to list the verses. However, he doesn't just give you the scripture reference, he gives information and application for each verse. Not a chapter for each, but just a page or two - something to think about while you memorize. I am so excited!

So I'm starting my journey, my adventure in memorizing, because I know that I will learn so much about God and about myself and about how to become the person God wants me to be as I put God's Word in my heart. Want to come along? Here's where we're starting:

Verse 1: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1

Verse 2: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

Stop and really think about these verses - let them sink deep into your heart. Think about them phrase by phrase, and let the Holy Spirit show you just how rich these words are.

Enjoy the journey!

No comments: