Saturday, April 16, 2011

The ABCs I Adore

Last week I shared my favorite D, E, and F things.
I feel a little like singing the song from Sound of Music...
"Raindrops on roses, and whiskers on kittens.....
Brown paper packages tied up in strings,
These are a few of my favorite things!"

Today I am thinking about G, H and I.
Let's see...girafes? No. The color gray? Definitely Not!!!
Green grass? A possibility, especially today when it's covered by snow in the middle of April.
But I think my favorite G today is grapes. I love green grapes and red grapes. I love grape jelly. Grape juice has always been my favorite kind of juice. My grandpa grew grapes and grandma made grape jam and wine from the grapes. So G is for grapes.
Next comes H.
Today H will be for hymns. I grew up in a Baptist church where we sang hymns every Sunday. My dad sang in the choir, and loved to sing hymns. I don't think I really appreciated the words of hymns when I was young, but I have learned that they are so rich, so good for teaching and learning about God. My favorite hymn of all is Blessed Assurance  (You can listen to it here.)

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine.
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine.
Heir of salvation, purchase of God.
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

This is my story,this is my song,
Praising my Savior, all the day long.
This is my story, this is my song.
Praising my Savior, all the day long.

The letter I has to be for ice cream. I remember going to 31 Flavors as a child, a very special treat. We also went on special occasions to Bridgeman's Restaurant, and they were known for their delicious ice cream. My favorite there was german chocolate. Another fun place to go was Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour.
These days my favorite ice cream shops are up by the cabin (Sweets N Such, Owls and Things, Happy's) where I love to get french silk chocolate. I'm not a big fan of blizzards, or mixtures from Coldstone. I don't like lots of stuff in my ice cream. Put some hot fudge and peanuts on top, however, and I'll be your friend forever!

What are some of your favorite things?

2 comments:

Brenton Balvin said...

G- golf
H- hockey
I- ice cream

kris said...

Brenton - you're right! I should have said that H is for hockey!! Although I have to admit that I like hockey best when watching you, Aaron and Jeff play.