Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Challenging Devotional

Yesterday the title of the devotional (Pathways) I read was, "Choosing and Using Time."  Toward the end of the reading the author, David Jeremiah,wrote,

"Why not keep track of your time this week and see how much of it is spent with the Lord?"

This really hit me hard. I have been thinking about how I spend my time. I am gone 9.5 hours per weekday for work. I spend a total of about an hour walking Percy. But what do I do with the rest of my evenings? It's so easy to sit and watch HGTV, or read blogs and surf the web. I have housework to do in the evenings too, and then there's time I "NEED" for crafting.

To be honest, my time with God is squeezed into 5-10 minutes in the morning for devotions, and 5-10 minutes at night for working on memorizing Bible verses. Now, I do pray more than just at those two times. I pray when I walk, I sometimes pray when I'm driving. I pray before meals. Also, I usually am listening to Christian radio when I drive. But do those really count as time spent with God?

Doesn't He deserve more than just a few minutes here and there? Am I really worshipping Him?  Am I really spending time in His presence each day?

It's time to rearrange my priorities a bit, I'm thinking. It's time to turn off the TV, turn off the computer, stop looking at the clock, and open my Bible.

_____________________________________________________________
Memory verses I'm working on: Romans 12
I would like to memorize the whole chapter, but I'll start with verses 1-2

Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship.
Do not be conformed to this age, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.


No comments: